Love is more than a feeling. Love is an action. No matter how I feel, I can still walk in love. The world tricks us to think that love is that mushy feeling. Sometimes it can be, but love is so much more than that.
Ok, I must admit, right now I’m a bit frustrated and disappointed.
I haven’t already shared this, but now is the perfect opportunity- I’m working on my master’s.
But you know what I just learned? Education isn’t everything.
I just left a class discussion where the majority of the women (young women) basically supported gold-digging, receiving money for ‘companionship’, sexual relationships, or as my professor so accurately labeled it: prostitution. We were discussing how there are now tons of organizations recruiting young, beautiful woman to pair them with rich old guys. Now, hear me and hear me clearly: I’m not judging. We are all imperfect, we’ve all done wrong, and we’ll all made mistakes.
The reason that I’m upset is because this was glamourized. The young proponents didn’t see anything wrong with it. They even argued how there were ‘clear expectations’ involved. I not once heard the word morals. Or, values, or respect for self. Nope. No one said anything remotely close. What I did hear, however, is how everyone is harder on the women than the men. How, it should be all about choice.
There was a time in my life when I felt as if education made you different. That you were somehow ‘good’ and ‘right’ because you were educated. But, tonight while sitting in a master’s level persuasion course I got proved wrong.
One thing I know for sure, I want to earn my education while striving to maintain an ethical character- respecting myself and others. I want to be known not for being perfect, but for being able to discern right from wrong, and for having the courage to do what is right.
Ok, I feel better now. But I am still a little upset.
Ok. I’m watching the Republican debate with my family and I can’t take it anymore. I have to write. Here are my thoughts:
Personally, the two strongest candidates are Christie and Trump. They are both bold, assertive, and direct. Of course Trump has a tendency of not answering directly, such as not answering how much the wall will cost, but for the most part he’s direct. Christie directly addressed the legalization of marijuana, while Rand Paul exaggeratted the story of the mother whose young daughter needs the drug for medical reasons. I’m with Christie and Fiorina- legalization of marijuana is no good. I believe it will lead to more harm than good.
The next two strongest candidates, in my opinion, were Fiorina and Rubio. They both used a reasonable balance of statistical and emotional appeal. Rubio stressed the importance of looking out for the middle class, and he has logical thoughts on immigration due to his family being hard-working immigrants. Fiorina displayed grace, strength, and boldness. She was one of the few that didn’t seem intimidated by Trump.
Lastly and unfortunately (honestly), Ben Carson was the weakest candidate on the stage. He took too long to make his points, spoke with little conviction, and he even appeared scared to take a stand and face debate and conflict. At one point when discussing minimum wage he simply said they should all sit down and make a decision. I’m no presidential candidate, but Carson I’m sure it will take more than that. Additionally, he’s a pediatric doctor and when discussing immunizations he weakly rattled off research, however, after Trump expressed his thoughts he submitted and agreed with Trump. Trump even patted him on the back afterward.
Ok, I’m done.
I’m driving listening to “The Body” by Wale and I was inspired to write, so here I am.. You know I love lists so let’s go! 5 things on my mind right now:
1. Happiness, or anything worthwile, will not be handed to you. Worthwhile things require work. Don’t believe me? Check out depression statistics. Happiness doesn’t always come easy.
2. I don’t force things. I’m learning to give up control when it comes to so many things. I can only do so much, and I’m learning to not expect myself to handle everything. I can’t force people to understand me or to do anything else for that matter. This is freeing.
3. The spirit of God will give us everything we need. There are some things we don’t always think about, but one thing I’m thankful for is discernment. The spirit of God will show you things that people try so hard to hide. This is a HUGE blessing because as people we can’t see the hearts of people, but God can and will give us insight into things we may have never known.
4. Quality over quantity. We should all be so thankful for the right relationships in our life. No matter the number, we have to be appreciative for people that are truly for us. Even if it’s just one or two, we should celebrate their presence in our lives. Don’t cry over who’s not there, just be happy with who you have.
5. Don’t react. So often we’re quick to react to people or situations. We must learn to be silent when necessary, then handle things effectively at the right time. Not reacting immediatly also allows us to check ourselves. In most situations there are areas of opportunity on both sides. Taking time before reacting allows you to look at the situation entirely, not just from your perspective. Don’t react, take time and then respond.
It’s 3:00 a.m. and I’m up writing. Tomorrow is Maraya’s 8th birthday which alone is enough, but life itself has been eventful lately. Honestly, I’m a bit over-stimulated.
Maraya is so great because she’s been talking about her birthday, but last night she very curiously asked “What are we doing for my birthday?” She used her sweet little tone, too. She knew I wanted to take a trip, but I hadn’t committed to anything yet. She trusts me, but with her birthday being 2 days away she was obviously concerned. 🙂
Maraya’s birthdays are extremely important to me. I try to make them very special for her. The trend has been every other year we go on a birthday trip. 4 was Disney World, 6 was D.C., and 8 ummm it’s tomorrow, remember?
Yesterday wore me OUT! Mid-term, lack of sleep, plus surprising news at a car repair shop. I shut down to the world at 8 p.m. Good rest makes a huge difference. I feel rested now. It’s 3:00 a.m. and I’m up writing and cleaning. I have a kid’s birthday tomorrow, and a trip to make. Here goes!
Please pray for us. Stay tuned for pictures. Dallas or Houston, who knows?! We’re just going to get up and GO! 🙂
Wow, just looked at the calendar and realized I haven’t written anything in a week! This saddens my heart! 🙂 But seriously, I prefer to write something every few days.
The semester is coming to a close and my workload has been heavy! This week I wrote a 10 page paper and then gave a 6 minute presentation over it. I haven’t even had a chance to do my hair! I seriously need to show it some love. I would post pictures, but I don’t want to embarrass myself. 🙂
Anyway, let me clear my mind and share a few things…
– Thanksgiving is 6 days away!
– I’m pleased that I’m making good progress with my Christmas shopping. Today I bought my daughter the Kindle Fire tablet that I wrote about a while back. Check it out on the ‘shopping’ tab. She’s going to be a very happy camper!
– I have been in a very thankful mood! Church fed us a great dinner Wed, and then my apartment complex fed us another meal yesterday! Also, today the weather is bad here in Tulsa and I’m thankful that I have a comfortable job inside with heating. It’s getting nasty out. What are you all thankful for?
– Sometimes the very thing that people love about you will be the same thing they try to strip away from you. This can apply to a variety of situations. Think about it.
Well, I just wanted to check in! I hope that everyone is having a WONDERFUL FRIDAY! Smooches!
It’s 12:40 am and I’m still up and going. Today has been quite a day.
I cried today. I prayed today. I meditated today. I was encouraged by my friends today.
I started a good book today titled “9 Things You Simply MUST DO”. I also cried a little while reading it. 🙂
I came to the realization today that I must setup something to remind myself of my ultimate goals. I need a reminder of why I am sacrificing today.
I’m sacrificing sleep, money, time, relationships, enjoyment, relaxation. I am uncomfortable.
I need to remind myself. Constantly. Right now life is not necessarily fun. Or even easy. So I need to remind myself why I’m working so hard.
Education, Purpose, Stability, Information, Achievement. Getting my education now will pay off later.
It’s not easy though. Sacrifice is not easy. I’d rather be sleeping now. But I will sleep later. I need to prepare for my speech tomorrow. 🙂