Today it hit me: I am 7 months shy of earning my master’s degree. My first thought was “Wow, I can’t believe it’s so close.” Secondly, I’m sitting here asking myself “How did I get here?” So, how did I…
1. Purpose. I remember when I used to go to college intermittently because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I’ve always valued education but I haven’t always been clear on my purpose. I thank God for saving my soul and growing me up in Him. One of the greatest gifts that He has given me is the awareness of my purpose. Knowing your purpose gives you focus…
2. Focus. It’s hard to move forward without focus. We are all faced with distractions but I feel that in order to progress you have to focus your energies. I’m a firm believer in staying focused on what’s important. I understand that I can’t be everywhere, do everything, and please everyone. I have to know what I need to do and just do that. I have to keep my focus where it needs to be and ignore everything else.
3. Strength. In order to move forward you must be strong. Nothing worth having comes easy, so we must know that we’ll have to overcome some things. You won’t always feel strong but as Paul wrote “for when I am weak, then I am strong.” – II Corinthians 12:10
4. Growth. I think it’s a waste of time and money to grow in knowledge without growing in character. College should be taken seriously. We should grow in our decision-making, communication skills, relationships, and so on. We should be committed to growth in every area of our lives if we really want to get our money’s worth.
5. Support. There is only so much we can do by ourselves so I thank God for always placing people in my lives when I needed them. God will truly provide all of our needs when we are committed to serving Him. I got married around the time I was finishing up with my bacheolor’s degree and at the time of graduation I had no intention of going to graduate school. I thank God for a godly, encouraging, supportive husband.