Here are 5 scriptures that helped me get through my 20’s:
1. “Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.” – Job 5:17
This is the very first scripture that God brought to my attention once I got saved. And I really needed it because I got saved during a time in my life when I was being disciplined! Things weren’t going well at all for me but this helped me keep my attitude right so I could deal with it and know that it was all for my good.
2. “…And Esther won the favor of everyone who saw her.” – Esther 2:15
I love this! Esther is my favorite woman of the Bible and her story is very inspiring! The Lord truly blessed her with favor and a prayer of mine during my 20’s was “Lord bless me with favor like Esther.” Favor is worth more than money and will make us stand out amongst the masses. Lord give me favor! 🙂
3. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.” – Mark 12:30-31
I absolutely love this because a teacher of the law was basically trying to test Jesus. They asked him “Of all the commandments, which is the most important one?” Jesus basically answered, LOVE. As Christians it is so easy to get off track and start focusing on things that aren’t our job, like judging and telling people what to do. This scripture keeps me grounded in that I’m just supposed to love. Even when it’s hard, just love. It’s not always easy and I don’t always get it right but this is where I try to keep my focus as a Christian.
4. “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.” – Proverbs 16:3
This was huge for me because I’m a planner and of course I want to succeed. This helped me to realize that I’m not in control and that as long as I commit my plans to the Lord then I will succeed. Now, I had to be mature enough to understand that I may not be successful in the way I have envisioned but I will succeed in the way the Lord sees fit.
5. “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” – Psalm 37:4
I love this and it helped me to keep myself focused on the Lord. It’s easy for me to get busy doing my own thing and working my own plan but this scripture gave me peace in knowing that as long as I spend time with the Lord and do what’s honoring to him that He will bless me with my desires. Also, what happens is that when we spend time with Him we begin to want what He wants and so he’s then able to give us what’s best for us. Because it’s what He wants to give us anyway.