Lately I’ve been very sensitive and observant to the interactions that I have been having with some fellow Christians. Yes, I get it, no one’s perfect; but I have been noticing a few things that should rarely be observed from Christians.
I do believe that it’s very easy to ‘drift’ or even subconsciously do things. We have to be aware of our ways, motives, and most importantly our hearts.
Hopefully, this list will help us all to be more aware of our ways.
1. Christians should not be critical of others.
– While on Earth, Jesus was asked “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Matthew 22:36-39)
– We must not be so critical of others and forget that we are ALL imperfect beings. Instead, pray for others when their shortcomings bother you. Don’t criticize or gossip.
– In “Purpose Driven Life” Rick Warren wrote that anyone put in any situation is capable of any sin. Think about this. Personally, I’ve learned that when you discuss and criticize others you may soon find yourself in the same position, or in an even worse one. Don’t criticize, just love.
2. Christians should not be negative.
-We should be positive encouragers. We should have a positive word and a positive outlook to share with others. Our words should bring joy, not pain to those around us. We should have the wisdom to know when to not even say a word. Negative energy is draining; we should have a positive, radiant energy that surrounds us. People should be attracted to our positivity. The world needs more positivity, there is enough negativity!
– Proverbs 16:23 states “A wise man’s heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.”
3. Christians should not be lazy.
– Proverbs 10:4 “Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.”
– Proverbs 19: 15 “Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless (idle) man goes hungry.
– Proverbs 20: 4 “A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.”
– Proverbs 20:13 “Do not love sleep or you will grow poor; stay awake and you will have food to spare.”
– Ecclesiastes 4: 5 “The fool folds his hands and ruins himself.”
– The Bible is clear in telling us that we have to do something to get something.
4. Christians should not be prideful.
– Proverbs 16: 18 “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.”
– Proverbs 29:23 “A man’s pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.”
– Pride can be very sneaky to detect. A few ways to combat pride is to not think of yourself as better than those around you. Don’t compete. Don’t take credit for your successes. Recognize that God is the giver of everything and give him all the glory.
Of course there are more than 4 things that Christians should not be. There is even much more that we should be! These 4 items were on my heart so I wanted to share them. I hope this helps us all to be more aware of our ways!