1. Don’t suppress your feelings. You may feel weak, discouraged, afraid, or even suicidal. Express yourself to someone you can trust. Allow them to assist you with moving through the process. Don’t keep your emotions bottled up.
2. Keep living. Do as much as you can, depending on the circumstances. Try to keep on living. Do a little more each day. Don’t just stop and do nothing. Try to stay productive.
3. Take one day at a time. You may not see the resolution anywhere in sight. That’s ok. Just focus on today. Do what you can do and don’t worry about the rest. Feel accomplished to make it through the day. Matthew 6:34 states “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” LIVE THIS!
4. Lean on others. Rely on those around you who care about you. They will strengthen you in your time of weakness. Their words, actions, and love will lift you up and encourage you to keep on going.
5. Don’t consistently think about the problem. You’re already aware of it. No need to replay it in your mind. This is self-discouragement. Refocus your attention on something positive: solutions, scriptures, or prior storms you have overcome.
6. Laugh! Find something to laugh about. Call a goofy friend, watch a comedy. Laughing instantly lightens the mood and helps you keep the right perspective. After a good laugh, you may realize it’s not as bad as it seems.
7. Help someone else. We all have problems. Stay sensitive to the needs that are around you. You may have an easy fix to someone else’s problem. Meeting someone else’s need is sure to give you a boost.
I am not an expert. I’m just in the midst of my own ‘life storm’. These are things that I personally used to get through the day yesterday.
My hope is that this list will encourage someone else. I’m encouraging myself with it. Be encouraged.